From: $20.00 for 1 month


SKU: N/A Category: Tags: , ,



Gout effects over 3 million people a year in the US alone. Considered a form of Arthritis where excess Uric Acid is present in the blood causing accumulation, deposition, of uric acid crystals (monosodium urate) around joint tissue, primarily effecting the big toe. Feet, ankles, knees and hands can also be effected by gout. Acute gout occurs when the area effected is red, feels hot, swollen with excruciating pain lasting days to weeks.

A genetic defect in the body’s metabolism of Purines known as the Lesch-Hyhan syndrome may cause increased endogenous production of Purines leading to excessive concentrations of Uric Acid. Approximately 70% of gout patients have an overproduction of Uric Acid, the remaining 30% of gout patients have defective elimination of uric acid.  references


 Gout afflicts approximately 3% to 4% of the population of the western world and can be hereditary. Under the age of 65 rates among men were 4 times those of women, over age 65 rates among men were 3 times greater. Gout among black men was almost twice that among white men. The incidence of gout was 10.9% among black men and 5.8% among white men.

Gout is the most common inflammatory arthritis in adult males.